Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm not one of them, am I?

Teachers are a funny breed (I can say that because I am one). I have spent the last two weeks at a history conference, with teachers from both elementary and secondary schools. This conference is part of the Teaching American History grant, which means not only do we get to hear a lot of interesting speakers, but we get a ton of free books/materials to use in our class. I found this conference not only fascinating, but filled with mucho chances for me to observe my fellow educators. When they first started handing out the free grub, I noticed that some of the teachers about mauled others to be the first to get their hands on it. The lady heading it up kept reminding us that there was enough for everyone, but I guess the notion of something being free brought out the hoarder in some. At first I found this midly entertaining. However, as the conference went on and the free stuff continued, some teachers started taking more than their share. It always seemed to be the same people, and I began to be annoyed. At times we had to choose between certain books, and the "little hoarders" made sure they got exactly what they wanted (even if it meant they were butting in line to do it!). There was an entire table of them who strategically sat nearest to the place where the free grub was, and then one tall man would take enough for him and all of his friends....leaving the rest of us to choose from the stuff we didn't exactly want. Throughout it all, I was a little baffled by what was happening, and then I began to feel the competition too. When the leaders would announce the book choices, I found myself doing what I could to get what I wanted. I WAS BECOMING ONE OF THEM! I've always been to happy to get a freebie, but I think I got a little out of control, and I had to reel myself in. Crazy times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the crazy world of teaching right!!
Heather

Dustin and Amy Rasmussen said...

I'm liking the new blog background. Its really cute! Teachers are crazy. Ditto that. Core Acadamy isnt so hard core but I totaly see it here in my adventures. We need to get together soon to visit!